Readability confuses mathematica?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg44492] Readability confuses mathematica?
  • From: patrick.m.lahey at (patrick_m_lahey)
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 08:01:40 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I am new to mathematica so perhaps there is a simple answer to this

In[1]:= D[x-x0,x]

except that x0 is really x ctrl-- 0 (x subscript 0).  Normally that
would be a completely independent variable from x but not according to

(the (1,0) is a superscript of Subscript).

One of the things that attracted me to mathematica was the ability to
work with expressions that closely mirrored the true expressions of
interest (a readability issue really...).

Is there anything that can be done here?