Re: Re: Fluid dynamics

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg44475] Re: [mg44454] Re: Fluid dynamics
  • From: Anton Antonov <antonov at>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 08:01:25 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Paul Abbott wrote:

>In article <boif5j$oau$1 at>,
> Nathan Moore <nmoore at> wrote:
>>Cellular automa has always looked like a discretization of continuous
>>differential equations (ever looked closely at the Runge-Kutta DEQ
>>solver?  A cursory glance shows that any x(i+1) comes from x(i) and
>>maybe also x(i-1) with statistical weights coming from taylor
>>expansions.  This means that any differential equation can be
>>discretized and expressed as a "cellular automa system"
>>There's nothing new and fabulous about that - its the standard approach
>>in Numerical methods.
I was doing research in large scale air pollutioning for some time. In
this area are usually considered 5 different physical processes with
very different time scales. From the mathematical modeling one gets,
say, 30-70 equations. The system cannot be treated directly with
classical PDE or ODE methods.  These methods are used together with a
procedure called "splitting". E.g. one simulates separately  first the
advection, then the chemistry; then again the advection, then the
chemistry, and so on. Now I find the idea to use the cellular automata
to skip the splitting as fabulous and exciting, :) but probably I like
mathematics too much. And at least in this researh area cellular
automata are not standard Numerical methods.