Re: Cartesian[(x, y, z)] is not a valid coordinate system specification

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg44559] Re: Cartesian[(x, y, z)] is not a valid coordinate system specification
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewscix at mail.earthlink.net>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 01:58:54 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 11/13/03 at 2:26 AM, karo at etechnik.uni-rostock.de (Karsten Rothemund) wrote:

> I want to demonstrate my students something about grad, div and curl.
> So I prepared a notebook on the FreeBSD-machine (Mathematica 4.2),
> which worked there OK. Now I want to re-evaluate the notebook at the
> university (Mathematica 4.1 on Linux) and I get the following:

> -----8<----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<-----

> In[1]:= << CalculusVectorAnalysis

Is this really what you typed? On a standard installation of Mathematica the syntax to load this package would be

<<Calculus`VectorAnalysis`

>   Cartesian::"shdw": Symbol "Cartesian" appears in multiple contexts \
>     CalculusVectorAnalysis, Global definitions in context \
>     CalculusVectorAnalysis may shadow or be shadowed by other \
>     definitions.

This message is telling you Cartesian is already defined before loading the package

On a freshly started session try ?Cartesian. Do you get a Information:notfound error, indicating the symbol Cartesian isn't found? If so, now try loading the package. Do you still get the error you reported above? If you don't get a Information:notfound error when you do ?Cartesian, do you get a help message describing Cartesian?

Other things to try are

$ContextPath which will give you a listing of all contexts available in the current session.

??Cartesian which will tell you what context Cartesian is defined in and any definitions associated with Cartesian

> In[2]:= <<GraphicsPlotField3D
>         <<GraphicsPlotField
>         <<GraphicsContourPlot3D
>         <<GraphicsLegend

This also looks strange. If these are indeed loading the packages you must have a non-standard installation of Mathematica.

A quick check of the resources I have handy shows the package Calculus`VectorAnalysis` appears to be the same in both version 3.0 and 5.0. So, I doubt the differences between version 4.1 and 4.2 are the cause of you problem.
--
To reply via email subtract one hundred and nine