Re: Using Symbols in Functions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg43862] Re: Using Symbols in Functions
  • From: Tom Burton <tburton at brahea.com>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 01:54:35 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello,

Names of symbols must follow certain rules. One easy work-around is to quote
them and turn them into string contants, for example

F["\[UpArrow]"] = 1

(no need for delayed evaluation in this case, by the way, where everything
is constant). In StandardForm and TraditionalForm (unless you turn on the
option ShowStringCharacters at the notebook level), you won't see these
double quotes.

Hope this helps,

Tom Burton