Re: Simplifying Exponents

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg43914] Re: [mg43899] Simplifying Exponents
  • From: "Peter Pein" <nospam at spam.no>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 01:33:33 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi Wes,
I can not reproduce the described behaviour:
In[1]:=
$Version
a*Exp[I*t*(-4 + x) - I*t*x]//Simplify
Out[1]=
4.0 for Microsoft Windows (July 16, 1999)
Out[2]=
\!\(a\ \[ExponentialE]\^\(\(-4\)\ \[ImaginaryI]\ t\)\)

Maybe some of the symbols you're using look same but aren't. What does
FullForm[expression] display? Or did you use Hold[] somwhere in your code?

Peter Pein, Berlin
petsie at arcAND.de
replace && by || to write to me