Re: M5.0 keyboard shortcuts with linux

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg43944] Re: M5.0 keyboard shortcuts with linux
  • From: Marcus <marcus314 at>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 04:59:19 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Omega Consulting wrote:
> There's a file that controls the key codes:
> SystemFiles/FrontEnd/TextResources/(platform)/

this does not always work,

the changes in  are overwritten
by conflicting settings in  (in the same directory).

e.g., if you would like to have the emacs C-a (MoveLineBeginning)
you have to add the following line in

   Item[KeyEvent["a", Modifiers -> {Control}], "MoveLineBeginning"],

by default, C-a is bound to "Enter Selection" in the "Find" menu,
therefore, in, you have to remove the last argument from

   Item["Enter Selection",
        "SelectionSetFind", MenuKey["e", Modifiers->{Control}]],

Is it possible to do this not system-wide but only
for a specific user?  Where would I have to place the files?

placing the modified .tr files in the user preferences directory
(Mathematica 5, Linux) does not seem work
(original location is

Marcus Stollsteimer

Sometimes the delete key is your greatest friend. - Steve Martin