LogLogListPlot, LogLinearListPlot- Ticks and TickMarks

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg44110] LogLogListPlot, LogLinearListPlot- Ticks and TickMarks
  • From: Goyder Dr HGD <H.Goyder at>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 07:14:58 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I have some data for viscoelastic material that covers a domain of (a
possibly record breaking) 16 decades.
There are two data sets in the form of frequency-modulus and
I wish to plot these as a LogLogListPlot and as a LogLinearListPlot
I give an example data set and my attempts below.

For the LogLogListPlot how do I get more tick marks and tick labels on the x
and y axes in the form of 10^n where n may be positive or negative and is
not converted either to a decimal or preceded by 1.0 x?

For the LogLinearListPlot how do I get a sensible y scale on the left hand
side, perhaps 5 tick marks, keeping the symbol as Pi and fractions of Pi
rather than as a decimal?  How do I get the y scale on the right hand side
which is missing?

Finally is there a method of plotting both the modulus and phase plots, one
above the other, with a common length of x axis so that the plots line up?

4.2 for Microsoft Windows (August 23, 2002)

With thanks

Hugh Goyder

LogLogListPlot[{#[[1]],#[[2]]}&/@ dataMod,
    FrameLabel\[Rule] {"Frequency","Modulus"},
    Frame\[Rule]True,ImageSize\[Rule] 72 9,

LogLinearListPlot[{#[[1]],#[[2]]}&/@ dataPhase,
    FrameLabel\[Rule] {"Frequency","Phase"},
    Frame\[Rule]True,ImageSize\[Rule] 72 9,

dangerous content by the Cranfield MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.