imposing parameter assumptions

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg44184] imposing parameter assumptions
  • From: "drr7" <rondeau at>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 06:26:39 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Simple question:  How do I impose assumptions on the sign of parameters in
symbolic equations and then test for the sign of an expression. Example:
suppose I want to test the sign of f[a]=a^-3 if a<0.  I tried combinations
of Refine and Positive, but that does not seem to work for me.  What I am
really trying to do is sign a long expression for a derivative.