Trouble importing Mathematica EPS files into Deneba Canvas

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg43452] Trouble importing Mathematica EPS files into Deneba Canvas
  • From: kc144 at woh.rr.com (Kevin Gross)
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 07:59:17 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi all,

I am trying to annotate some 2D plots made in Mathematica 5.0 (Mac OS
X).  I exported the plot as EPS.  However, when I import it into
Canvas 9, a few of the fonts are messed up.  For example, what is
supposed to be a bold parenthesis "(" appears as a radical sign.  I
can't decide if this is a Mathematica problem or a Canvas problem.

A few observations:

* Canvas does have access to the Mathematica-specific fonts, such as
Mathematica2.  However, when I type "(" using the Mathematica2 font
within a Canvas text field, I get the same radical sign which appears
when importing the 2D plot.

* I tried exporting the EPS file with and without the embedded
Mathematica fonts.  Still had the same result.

* I can convert the EPS file to PDF using ghostscript and it looks
great using Adobe Acrobat 6 and Preview.app - all fonts are scalable,
not bitmapped.

* If I use the tool "eps2eps" on the EPS file, some of the fonts, e.g.
the "(", are rasterized while others are preserved as outline fonts.
I'd rather not use bitmap versions of the fonts as I intend to scale
up the plot considerably. (eps2eps is part of the ghostscript
collection of tools and will essentially clean up an EPS file)

* The same problem occurs when importing the ghostscript-converted PDF
file into Canvas.

* You can look at the "problematic" EPS and PDF files here:
http://kc144.dyndns.org/~kevin/temp.eps
http://kc144.dyndns.org/~kevin/temp.pdf

Thanks,

Kevin