Re: ill-conditioned matrix

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg43505] Re: [mg43455] ill-conditioned matrix
  • From: Michael Schreiber <michaelschreiber at mac.com>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 05:39:44 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003, at 13:59 Europe/Vienna, arash yavari wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Does anybody know what the best way of multiplying
> ill-conditioned matrices in Mathematica is?
Mathematica Book 1.8.3 about Dot etc; more 3.7.1-3.7.12.
> I also need to solve a linear system with an ill-conditioned
> representing matrix.
LinearSolveFunction generated by LinearSolve for similar problems to
solve again and again (New in Version 5); QRDecomposition for more
equations than variables (over determined system). Further Examples for
LUDecomposition relate precision of fastest approximation to fast exact
solutions by magnitude of matrix condition number (for calculation of
matrix condition number norms see LinearAlgebra`MatrixManipulation`).