Mathematical character sets

Hello NG,

While googling for a quick and easy mathematical referrence character
table, I ended up with ISO tables for HTML use (e.g.  like this
http://www.utoronto.ca/webdocs/HTMLdocs/NewHTML/iso_table.html ). But it
is far from what I was looking for.

I'm currently working on a book about computer statistics and do my
notes on my laptop. The problem is - I can't type in special characters
like 'median' (tilde over x) or greek characters like 'alpha' into my
text editor.
Is there a way to store characters like this in a plain text document on
a computer? And if so, are there some character referrence tables on the
internet, where one can simply copy/paste these sets, since they are not
on the keyboard?

Many thanks for suggestions.

Regards,
Dirk