RE: RE: change PlotStyle in Graphics object after the fact?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg47337] RE: [mg47291] RE: [mg47253] change PlotStyle in Graphics object after the fact?
  • From: Jonas at iui.se
  • Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 06:36:20 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

The function Show can change the options of a Graphic, but not the
individual properties of
plots defined by PlotStyle. Show can be redefined to accept the PlotStyle
option:

Definition

In[1]:=
Unprotect[Show];

In[2]:=
Show::PlotStyleParams="Plot style has to have the same number of styles as \
the Graphic.";

In[3]:=
Show[g_,PlotStyle->op_]:=If[Length[g[[1]]]==Length[op],
    Show[Head[g]@@{MapThread[Prepend,{g[[1]],op}],g[[2]]}],
    Message[Show::PlotStyleParams]]

In[4]:=
Protect[Show];

Testing

In[5]:=
p1=Plot[Sin[x],{x,-Pi,Pi},DisplayFunction->Identity];

In[6]:=
p2=Plot[Cos[x],{x,-Pi,Pi},DisplayFunction->Identity];

In[7]:=
p3=Show[p1,p2,DisplayFunction->$DisplayFunction];

In[8]:=
Show[p3,PlotStyle->{Hue[.3],Hue[.6]}];

To make the redefinition more complete,

Show[g1_, g2__, PlotStyle -> op_]

could also be defined, applying the PlotStyles to several Graphics objects.
One could also allow for other options at the same time.

Jonas