Re: bug in IntegerPart ?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg47758] Re: bug in IntegerPart ?
- From: Jon Harrop <jdh30 at cam.ac.uk>
- Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 05:13:32 -0400 (EDT)
- Organization: University of Cambridge
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
Dennis de Lang wrote: > Why does the following happen? You have specified numbers in floating point arithmetic. Floating point arithmetic is not exact. Specifically, in this case, the first expression actually evaluates to slighly under 50: In := (1.65 - 1.3)/0.007 // FullForm Out := 49.999999999999986` Of course, if you use exact arithmetic, such as rational arithmetic, this doesn't happen: In := (165/100 - 13/10)/(7/1000) Out := 50 Cheers, Jon.