Re: Newbie Newton Algorithm and extra precision digits

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg47890] Re: Newbie Newton Algorithm and extra precision digits
  • From: Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 19:39:36 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

that what Precision[] returns is the precision of your computations
and not the error of your method.

Numerical errors have two origins, on are roundig errors
(that is reported by precision) and the second error source
are the errors of your numerical method. Mathematica can't find
out that you are using a Newton method, or that your program make
a numerical integration with a fixed step size. So Mathematica
gives you only the rounding errors.

Regards
  Jens