RE: Matrix + Simplify

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg49849] RE: [mg49829] Matrix + Simplify
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 10:46:26 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I think Simplify does work on arrays. In any case, you could always Map
Simplify to level {2} of your matrix expression.

Map[Simplify, matrix, {2}]

But simplifing expressions to the form that you want is something of an art.
It may be difficult to write a single Simplify command that works the way
you want on all elements of the matrix. You may have to combine Simplify
with some Rules that perform specific transformations. You may have to use
MapAt to transform specific matrix elements.

Without seeing your actual matrix expression it is difficult to be more
specific. Giving specific examples on MathGroup will almost always elicit a
better response.

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/

From: CYSTERNA++ [mailto:e_cysterna at wp.pl]
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net

I have matrix 3 x 3 which contains more complicated expressions. Every
expression is long and therefore it is difficult to analisys. I know, there
is Simplify[] function but it doesn't work when its parameter is matrix or
vector. How can I simplify all elements within this matrix ?

--
Regards

CYSTERNA++