Re: Reduce/Solve

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg49990] Re: Reduce/Solve
  • From: "Dana DeLouis" <delouis at bellsouth.net>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 04:29:32 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello.  It is because of Mathematica's huge bug in variable names.  Reduce
often doesn't work because of this bug.  The first thing you need to try is
to change the variable name.  I would first start by changing the "r" to a
variable name that comes near the beginning of the alphabet, like "a" (at
least something before the "d" in the equation).

Taking your equation, and changing r to a:

eq = J == J0*(1 + r/d)*Exp[-(r/d)] /. r -> a

J == ((1 + a/d)*J0)/E^(a/d)

Now it should work:

tt = Reduce[eq, a]

d != 0 && J == 0 &&