Re: Another Combinatorica loading problem

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg50117] Re: [mg50085] Another Combinatorica loading problem
  • From: DrBob <drbob at>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 03:15:16 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Typically, this happens because you've already established a global variable called NthPermutation, by evaluating a cell that mentions it, BEFORE loading the package. Make sure you haven't done that. (Get out of Mathematica, get back in, load the package, then try to compute.)

Do you get an error message when you load the package?

My version of the file contains the following message:

NthPermutation::usage = "NthPermutation[n, l] gives the nth lexicographic permutation of list l. This function is obsolete; use UnrankPermutation instead."

Therefore, try UnrankPermutation.

If that doesn't work either, something is really wrong. Open the Combinatorica.m file and SEE if NthPermutation or UnrankPermutation are in it.

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 01:50:52 -0400 (EDT), Steve Gray <stevebg at> wrote:

> My Combinatorica.m is in
> D:\ProgramFiles\WolframResearch\Mathematica\5.0\AddOns\StandardPackages\DiscreteMath
> but neither
> << DiscreteMath`Combinatorica`
> nor
> Needs["DiscreteMath`Combinatorica`"];
> apparently loads it because NthPermutation[100,{a,b,c,d,e,f,g}] just echoes NthPermutation.
> My $Path is
> { D:\Program Files\Wolfram Research\Mathematica\5.0\AddOns\JLink,
>   D:\Program Files\Wolfram Research\Mathematica\5.0\AddOns\NETLink,
>   D:\Program Files\Wolfram Research\Mathematica\5.0\AddOns\StandardPackages\StartUp,
>   D:\Program Files\Wolfram Research\Mathematica\5.0\AddOns\StandardPackages\StartUp,
>   D:\Program Files\Wolfram Research\Mathematica\5.0\AddOns\Autoload,
>   D:\Program Files\Wolfram Research\Mathematica\5.0\AddOns\Applications,
>   D:\Program Files\Wolfram Research\Mathematica\5.0\AddOns\ExtraPackages,
>   D:\Program Files\Wolfram Research\Mathematica\5.0\SystemFiles\Graphics\Packages,
>   D:\Program Files\Wolfram Research\Mathematica\5.0\Configuration\Kernel  }
> (plus some other stuff)
>    How do I put the required path into $Path, and I wonder why wasn't it included in the package I
> received? I changed nothing about Path.
>    Thanks for any info. This will be holding me up.
> Steve Gray

DrBob at