General expression of this definite integral ?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg50158] General expression of this definite integral ?
  • From: Jeffrey Tan <M.L.Tan at>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 01:20:07 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Dear all,
I am looking for the general expressions of the following definite
          Int [ x^n * sqrt[(c + x)/(c - x)]]
and     Int [ x^n * sqrt[(c - x)/(c + x)]]
with the integration range from a to b,
where a, b, c = constants
n = n-th degree power

I try in several mathematical packages but only specific solutions are
computed by putting n= 0,1,2... seperately in the above expression.
Besides that, no information available from many famous integral
handbooks, e.g. W. Grobner and N. Hofreiter, Integraltafel, Zweiter Teil,
Bestimmte Integrale (Springer, Wien, 1958).

Could anyone suggests how tackle this problems ?

Looking forward your helping hands as soon as possible! Thanks!
Jeffrey M.L.Tan
Department of Materials Engineering
Faculty of Technology
The Open University