Re: Opposite of ReadList[ ... ,Byte]?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg50353] Re: Opposite of ReadList[ ... ,Byte]?
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 03:54:00 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

On 8/28/04 at 4:38 AM, chris.purcell at (Christopher
Purcell) wrote:

>John:    I have made some use of binary files with decent success
>using Version 4.2, but after Version 5 came out - my favorite
>little binary read/write routine broke and I have not had time to
>study why. Here are some trivial examples of creating and reading
>binary files with the Utilities`BinaryFiles package which may be
>instructive. These work ok for little test cases except for one
>anomaly, which is noted.

>(* Generate a binary file containing a header and 256 Random 8 bit
>integers *)

>header="This is a dummy file header of length 40"
>StringLength[header] data=Table[Random[Integer,{0,255}],{256}] (*
>here are 256 random 8 bit integers *)
>stream=OpenWriteBinary["test.bin"]; Length[data]

>(* Read a binary file containing a known header, and 256 integers
>(8 bit) *)

>FromCharacterCode[ReadListBinary[stream,Byte,40]]  (*
>read the header *)
>ReadListBinary[stream,Byte,1] (*  why did this 0 get inserted? *)
>ReadListBinary[stream,Int8] (*
>read back the data *)

>it was necessary to read an extra byte after the header, which gets
>read back as a 0. I don't know why this extra byte is there.

The extra 0 byte is there because you converted the header to a CString and wrote that to the file. In C, strings are terminated with a null byte, O.

If you modify your read routine as follows:

ReadBinary[stream, CString]
ReadListBinary[stream, Int8]

you will get back what you wrote in without the extra 0 byte