MathGroup Archive 2004

[Date Index] [Thread Index] [Author Index]

Search the Archive

Re: launching a kernel on a remote linux machine through ssh from a linux machine

• To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg52523] Re: launching a kernel on a remote linux machine through ssh from a linux machine
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 05:57:37 -0500 (EST)
  • Organization: University of Helsinki
  • References: <co4edo$lc1$1@smc.vnet.net> <co6hqb$nqe$1@smc.vnet.net> <co99d6$h7p$1@smc.vnet.net> <cohieo$1ho$1@smc.vnet.net>
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

Comment on the part about firewall and named ports. I once tried everything to get the remote mathkernel to work through a SSH-forwarded port, with no success. Mathematica creates two ports for the tcp-traffic. The first port is mainly used but there is some tcp-traffic in the other port at the beginning of the session, and the link won't work without it. This second port seems to be totally undocumented feature, and it's number can't be controlled by the user. Because the number of this port can vary, it is impossible to use SSH-tunnels or put a hole in the firewall.

This is too bad, because different security-issues must be taken into account nowadays, and Mathematica's remote kernel implementation, in my oppinnion, is not up to date.

D Herring wrote:
> The closest I came to getting this working was with the following 
> sequence of events.  Maybe you can see what I'm doing wrong. 
> Mathematica input is prefixed by "system:> "; shell input by "system>> 
> "; notes/musings by "...".  Note that firewalling restricts the ports I 
> can use; an available port number is designated as PORT1.

-- 
   Antti Penttilä       Antti.I.Penttila at helsinki.fi.removethis

• Prev by Date: ReplacePart position
  • Next by Date: Re: Re: canonical mathematical expression represenation?
  • Previous by thread: Re: launching a kernel on a remote linux machine through ssh from a linux machine
  • Next by thread: Re: launching a kernel on a remote linux machine through ssh from a linux machine