JLink to remote kernel not possible?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg52571] JLink to remote kernel not possible?
  • From: Zeno Crivelli <zenonez at>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 02:21:37 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I have a little java app that does some operations connecting to the
kernel via JLink.

I use the following lines to get a link to the kernel (locally, on my
String argsOSX = "-linkmode launch -linkname
KernelLink ml = MathLinkFactory.createKernelLink(argsOSX);

Now, here is what I would like to do (probably a newbie question):

I have access (via ssh) to a remote kernel ('math' command) on my Unix
machine (let's call it which is running
Mathematica 5.0 for Sun Solaris.
I would like my java app to use the remote kernel (on the unix host)
instead of the one installed on my PowerBook (so that I can use the
java app from other computers where there's not Mathematica
installed). Is there a way to do that? I was dreaming it was something
trivial like make the remote kernel listen to a specific port (let's
say 60000) and then, on the java client, use something like
"createKernelLink( at"...but of
course createKernelLink doesn't seem to accept a remote host as

Please, can anybody help?