Memory Problem

I am using Mathematica to solve a small symbolic matrix(7x7). I
checked the memory allocated to Mathematica is 2M. When I used LinearSolve I
got the memory problem:

No more memory available.
Mathematica kernel has shut down.
Try quitting other applications and then retry.

I don't have other applications running. Can anyone tell me how and
how much memory you allocate to Mathematica? I also tried some optimization in
programming but they seem no big help. Any experience can share in
solving symbolic linear equations?

Thanks.