Re: Bug in 5.1,Linux, GUIKit?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg52826] Re: Bug in 5.1,Linux, GUIKit?
  • From: "Steven T. Hatton" <hattons at globalsymmetry.com>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 05:59:18 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Jeff Adams wrote:

> At 04:22 AM 12/11/2004, Steven T. Hatton wrote:
>>This is a session demonstrating the problem:
>>
>>Mathematica 5.1 for Linux
>>Copyright 1988-2004 Wolfram Research, Inc.
>>  -- Motif graphics initialized --
>>
>>In[1]:= Needs["GUIKit`"];
>>
>>In[2]:= HelloWorld[]:=GUIRunModal[Widget["Panel",{Widget["Label",{"text"
>>-> "Hello World!"}]}]]
>>
>>In[3]:= HelloWorld[]
>>
>>Java::argx: Method named runModalContent defined in class
>>     com.wolfram.guikit.GUIKitDriver
>>      was called with an incorrect number or type of arguments. The
>>arguments,
>>      shown here in a list, were {<widget src='Panel'>          , 1}.
>>                                   <group root='true'>
>>                                    <widget src='Label'>
>>                                     <group root='true'>
>>                                      <property name='text'
>>                                          value='Hello World!'/>
>>                                     </group>
>>                                    </widget>
>>                                   </group>
>>                                  </widget>
>>
>>GUIRunModal::nvalid: The GUI definition contains invalid content.
>>
>>Out[3]= $Failed
>>

>>It looks to me that Java is expecting a boolean where it is getting `1':
>>public boolean runModalContent(java.lang.String,boolean);
>>     public boolean runModalContent(java.lang.String,int,boolean);
>>     public boolean
>>runModalContent(java.lang.String,int,java.lang.String,boolean);
>
> Hello,
>
> It is possible this is related to a problem with GUIKit in 5.1 running on
> some Linux/Unix platforms.
> If no GUIRun or GUIRunModal examples work you may want to consider
> installing the patch
> provided here:
>
> http://support.wolfram.com/mathematica/packages/guikit/crashin51.html
>
> Jeff Adams
> Wolfram Research

I tried that, and I now have a different problem:

<< GUIKit`

GUIRunModal["Wolfram/Example/Calculator"]

Warning: Cannot convert string
"-b&h-lucida-medium-r-normal-sans-*-140-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1" to type
FontStruct

Java::excptn: A Java exception occurred:
    java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
       com.wolfram.jlink.JLinkClassLoader.getInstance()Ljava/lang/ClassLoader;
        at com.wolfram.bsf.engines.MathematicaBSFEngine.getClassLoader(Unknown
       Source)
        at com.wolfram.guikit.GUIKitDriver.parse(Unknown Source)
        at com.wolfram.guikit.GUIKitDriver.resolveGUIKitURL(Unknown Source)
        at com.wolfram.guikit.GUIKitDriver.runModalFile(Unknown Source)
        at
       sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.ja
       va:39)
        at
       sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccesso
       rImpl.java:25)
     .

GUIRunModal::nvalid: The GUI definition contains invalid content.

LinkObject::linkd:
   LinkObject[/usr/local/Wolfram/Mat<<210>>jlink.Install, <<2>>]
     is closed; the connection is dead.

Out[2]= $Failed

--
"Philosophy is written in this grand book, The Universe. ... But the book
cannot be understood unless one first learns to comprehend the language...