Re: Bug in 5.1,Linux, GUIKit?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg52826] Re: Bug in 5.1,Linux, GUIKit?
  • From: "Steven T. Hatton" <hattons at>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 05:59:18 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Jeff Adams wrote:

> At 04:22 AM 12/11/2004, Steven T. Hatton wrote:
>>This is a session demonstrating the problem:
>>Mathematica 5.1 for Linux
>>Copyright 1988-2004 Wolfram Research, Inc.
>>  -- Motif graphics initialized --
>>In[1]:= Needs["GUIKit`"];
>>In[2]:= HelloWorld[]:=GUIRunModal[Widget["Panel",{Widget["Label",{"text"
>>-> "Hello World!"}]}]]
>>In[3]:= HelloWorld[]
>>Java::argx: Method named runModalContent defined in class
>>     com.wolfram.guikit.GUIKitDriver
>>      was called with an incorrect number or type of arguments. The
>>      shown here in a list, were {<widget src='Panel'>          , 1}.
>>                                   <group root='true'>
>>                                    <widget src='Label'>
>>                                     <group root='true'>
>>                                      <property name='text'
>>                                          value='Hello World!'/>
>>                                     </group>
>>                                    </widget>
>>                                   </group>
>>                                  </widget>
>>GUIRunModal::nvalid: The GUI definition contains invalid content.
>>Out[3]= $Failed
>>It looks to me that Java is expecting a boolean where it is getting `1':
>>public boolean runModalContent(java.lang.String,boolean);
>>     public boolean runModalContent(java.lang.String,int,boolean);
>>     public boolean
> Hello,
> It is possible this is related to a problem with GUIKit in 5.1 running on
> some Linux/Unix platforms.
> If no GUIRun or GUIRunModal examples work you may want to consider
> installing the patch
> provided here:
> Jeff Adams
> Wolfram Research

I tried that, and I now have a different problem:

<< GUIKit`

Warning: Cannot convert string
"-b&h-lucida-medium-r-normal-sans-*-140-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1" to type

Java::excptn: A Java exception occurred:
        at com.wolfram.bsf.engines.MathematicaBSFEngine.getClassLoader(Unknown
        at com.wolfram.guikit.GUIKitDriver.parse(Unknown Source)
        at com.wolfram.guikit.GUIKitDriver.resolveGUIKitURL(Unknown Source)
        at com.wolfram.guikit.GUIKitDriver.runModalFile(Unknown Source)

GUIRunModal::nvalid: The GUI definition contains invalid content.

   LinkObject[/usr/local/Wolfram/Mat<<210>>jlink.Install, <<2>>]
     is closed; the connection is dead.

Out[2]= $Failed

"Philosophy is written in this grand book, The Universe. ... But the book
cannot be understood unless one first learns to comprehend the language...
in which it is written. It is written in the language of mathematics, ...;
without which wanders about in a dark labyrinth."   The Lion of Gaul