Re: please solve

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg52962] Re: please solve
  • From: Robert <robert_dot_paynter_ at _eng_.ox.ac.uk>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 03:59:35 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

rcmcll at yahoo.com wrote:
> Greetings:
>
> Could someone please solve this symbolically?
> This is just the ols formula for beta-hat but I need a symbolic
> solution for this special case.
>
> b = inv(x'x)x'y
>
> where
>
> x =  1  t  t^2
> 1  t  t^2
> 1  t  t^2
>

> and simplify simplify simplify!!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob

Bob,
     I suggest you look at the formulations for
Savitsky-Golay filtering, they should get you there
in a nice systematic way, ie you will be able to
extend if you wish.  Perhaps searching for links
more usually associated with signal & image
processing might help.

Regards

Bob

I really prefer my full name: