Re: Re: Mathematica language issues

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg53050] Re: Re: Mathematica language issues
  • From: Maxim <ab_def at prontomail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 05:19:43 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 11:53:46 +0000 (UTC), Andrzej Kozlowski
<akoz at mimuw.edu.pl> wrote:

> On 19 Dec 2004, at 20:15, Maxim wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 09:36:01 +0000 (UTC), Andrzej Kozlowski
>> <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl> wrote:

>>> This is not a glitch but works exactly as one woudl expect.  You can
>>> see the difference and the reason by looking at Trace in both cases
>>> (although there is no need for that, if you understand Unevaluated you
>>> can see it right away).
>>>
>>> First:
>>> 2*Unevaluated[1+1]//Trace
>>>

>>> {2 (1+1),2 Unevaluated[1+1]}
>>>

>>> First Unevaluated is stipped away and Mathematica attempts ot evaluate
>>> 2*(1+1). Since it knows no rule to apply and the expression has not
>>> changed Unevaluated is restored and evaluation is completed with the
>>> output you see.
>>>

>>> Unevaluated[1+1]*2//Trace
>>>
>>> {(1+1) 2,2 (1+1),{1+1,2},2 2,4}
>>>
>>> As before, first Unevaluated is stripped away and Mathematica tires to
>>> evaluate 2*(1+1). It now knows a rule to apply, which is given by the
>>> Orderless attribute and the canonical ordering, so it converts the
>>> expression into the form 2 (1+1). But now Unevaluated is not restored
>>> because the expression has changed so evaluation continues with 1+1
>>> evaluationg to 2 and finally you obtain 4.
>>>
>>> Now, I have honstly considered this case only because I could see at
>>> once what what was going on. I do not knwo if any of the others are
>>> glitches but jusdging by my experience with the past "language
>>> glitches" you have reported (unlike the more serious problems desribed
>>> in your last posting) I rather doubt it. However I have no time to
>>> spend on this just to prove a point (again).
>>>

>>> Andrzej Kozlowski
>>> Chiba, Japan
>>> http://www.akikoz.net/~andrzej/
>>> http://www.mimuw.edu.pl/~akoz/
>>>

>> I do not agree. Suppose we evaluate z*Unevaluated[1 + 1]; according to
>> your explanation, after the reordering of the factors Unevaluated
>> should
>> disappear from the final result. However, the expression evaluates to
>> Unevaluated[1 + 1]*z. Further, suppose we take Unevaluated[1
>> + 1]*Sin[Pi/4]: Sin[Pi/4] evaluates to 1/Sqrt[2], so in this case an
>> evaluation step definitely takes place; however, the output is
>> Unevaluated[1 + 1]/Sqrt[2]. Your theory simply doesn't work. But even
>> if
>> it did, there is another problem: suppose I use Sin[Pi/8] instead of
>> Sin[Pi/4] -- then first you would need to know whether Mathematica has
>> built-in rule for Sin[Pi/8] to arrive at any conclusion as to how it
>> might
>> work with Unevaluated (that is, what will count as an evaluation
>> step?).
>> So to apply your explanation we would have to search through all the
>> built-in rules of Mathematica.
>>
>> Maxim Rytin
>> m.r at inbox.ru
>>

> The principle behind Unevaluated, which I  described above and which
> [...]

Basically you're saying that it works one way for numbers and another way
for symbols, one way for Plus and another way for other Orderless
functions; but how does that explain anything? It would be more precise to
say that the result depends on whether Mathematica applies any built-in
rules on intermediate evaluation steps, but this isn't a sufficient
explanation either; consider

In[1]:=
Unevaluated[2]/Sqrt[2]
Unevaluated[Sqrt[2] + Sqrt[2]]/Sqrt[2]

Out[1]=
Sqrt[2]

Out[2]=
Unevaluated[Sqrt[2] + Sqrt[2]]/Sqrt[2]

In the first case 2/Sqrt[2] is reduced to Sqrt[2], which means that some
basic arithmetic rules are applied; in the second case (Sqrt[2]
+ Sqrt[2])/Sqrt[2] is not reduced to 2, so some basic arithmetic rules are
not applied; how can you tell which it's going to be in any given case?

Next, compare

In[3]:=
Unevaluated[Sqrt[2]*(Sqrt[3] + 1)]*Csc[Pi/12]
Unevaluated[Sqrt[6] + Sqrt[2]]*Csc[Pi/12]

Out[3]=
2*(1 + Sqrt[3])^2

Out[4]=
Sqrt[2]*Unevaluated[Sqrt[6] + Sqrt[2]]*(1 + Sqrt[3])

The difference is that in the first case the argument of Unevaluated
exactly matches the result of the evaluation of Csc[Pi/12], and
Mathematica transforms a*a to a^2; in the second case the argument of
Unevaluated is the same numerically but has a different structure, and
Mathematica cannot simplify the product further, thus Unevaluated remains.
I have to repeat what I said in my previous post: to predict the outcome
you need to know exactly what the part which isn't wrapped in Unevaluated
evaluates to; in other words, you need to see the output first and only
after that you can explain to me why it was exactly the output you had
been expecting.

Maxim Rytin
m.r at inbox.ru