Re: Re: Re: Mathematica language issues

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg53142] Re: [mg53112] Re: [mg53050] Re: Mathematica language issues
  • From: DrBob <drbob at bigfoot.com>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2004 04:00:35 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Fred,

At several points you made statements I simply don't understand. The examples clarify what you meant for the most part, but I'm still wondering, so here goes:

>> Unevaluated is meant to pass unevaluated arguments to a function
>> body and as such it works perfectly. No one in practice is interested
>> in (1+1)*Unevaluated[2+2].

Do you mean a Function body? If not, Times in that example qualifies as a function body. (I think.)

>> If now no rules for f can be applied, Mathematica returns the result
>> so far, with Unevaluated wrapped again around the labeled arguments.

So it's only rules FOR F that matter? Does the distributive property count as a rule for Times?

>> If a rule for f can be applied, the administration of arguments
>> that come from Unevaluated is completely skipped.

I don't get any meaning from the phrase "administration of arguments".

>> I first formulate my assumption (only WRI and maybe a few others
>> know if I am right!)

Even if your assumption is correct (as I suspect it is), this statement doesn't really square with a later claim that there's no mystery.

>> But when I ask for this result without copying and pasting
>> it does NOT evaluate to 2 (1+Sqrt[3])^2.

How do you "ask for this result without copying and pasting"?

Maybe you meant writing Sqrt[2]*Unevaluated[Sqrt[3] + 1]*(1 + Sqrt[3])*Unevaluated[Sqrt[2]] in an input cell (manually) and evaluating. When I enter it in InputForm like that, it doesn't evaluate to 2 (1+Sqrt[3])^2. But when I enter it in the more visual form, with radicals, it DOES evaluate. THIS IS VERY STRANGE.

But is that what you meant?

Bobby

DrBob at bigfoot.com
www.eclecticdreams.net