shuffling 10^8 numbers

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg53180] shuffling 10^8 numbers
  • From: George Szpiro <george at netvision.net.il>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 06:30:22 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

I am trying to shuffle 10^8 numbers stored in the file GG.doc in the root
directory. (Size of GG.doc appros 360 MB)

Accorrding to previous suggestions from this group I try to shuffle them
witht he following program:

GG=OpenRead["c:\GG.doc"];
AA=ReadList[GG];
  Timing[
  OrigList=Table[AA];
  p=RandomPermutation@Length@OrigList;
  ShuffledList=OrigList[[p]];

But the file is far too big. I can read it but then I get the following
error message:

<<No more memory available. Mathematica kernel has shut down. Try quitting
other applications and then retry.>>

No other programs are open, so I guess I am at the limit. Can anybody
suggest a workaround? Is there a possibility to shuffle numbers without

NEW IDEA: I thought there might be a possibility of just reading one single
number each time from the file GG.doc, and putting them into a randomly
chosen slot in a new file.

Any answeres greatly appreciated to:
george at netvision.net.il

Thanks,