Re: Nasty bug in Integrate (version 5.0)

> What I intended to indicate to in my original reply  was that the
> person who posted the message did not make clear what he wanted: to
> report a bug or to find a way to solve his problem, and if the latter,
> then what sort of answer he wanted. If he wanted the answer one gets by
> setting GenerateConditions->False then that's the best way to do it (or
> by simply computing the indefinite integral, which is in fact what I
> would do).

Sorry I wasn't clear -- my intention was to report the bug. I can
integrate 1/x, thank you :-)

The example I posted is symptomatic of a problem with Integrate that I
stumbled upon while solving a more complicated problem. I
intentionally kept it trivial to make it obvious. This said, I don't
quite understand your argument that it's somehow okay for Mathematica
to give the wrong answer on a trivial problem because no sensible
person should use it to solve such a problem...