InputAutoReplacements With "-marks

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg46089] InputAutoReplacements With "-marks
  • From: Harold.Noffke at wpafb.af.mil (Harold Noffke)
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 04:03:08 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

MathGroup:

In running different learning examples for Mathematica 5.0, I
repetitively use Clear["Global`*"] to reset all my variables.  I tried
to make "cg" into an InputAutoReplacements alias with the Option
Inspector by defining ...

	cg -> Clear[\"Global`*\"]

After clicking OK twice and re-inspecting this entry, I found that
Mathematica had processed it into ...

	Clear[ Times[ "Global`, "]]

which is not what I expected.  So, I redefined ...

	cg -> Clear[\"Global`\*\"]

because the Mathematica Book says ...

	\* in effect acts like an escape: it allows you to enter ordinary
Mathematica syntax even within a \( ... \) sequence.  Note that the
input you give after a \* can itself in turn contain \( ... \)
sequences.

Mathematica processes the new cg definition into ...

	Clear[ "Global`\*"]

which is not what I expected, either.

Tests of both definitions for cg yield failures with error messages.

Are such InputAutoReplacements beyond the scope of Mathematica 5.0?

Thanks.
Harold