Re: random numbers?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg46116] Re: random numbers?
  • From: "Bo Le" <bole79 at>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2004 04:01:58 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

You are of course not asking alot, and the subject is indeed very interesting!

I am also very sorry I can't get into this in greater detail, but I recommend
reading the following:

[1] The Mathematica Book, chapter 3.2.3. - Pseudorandom Numbers, where you will learn
about Mathematica's capabilities and that the computer randomness in in fact pseudo.
This book is a part of the system's help.

[2] Numerical Recipes -, chapter 7. -
Random Numbers, where you will learn about the algorithm(s) behind the generators of
randomness and some of the above.

[3] numerous resources on the subject via

And do not be afraid: The first two references are very relaxed, and they should answer
your questions.