Re: Specifying arguments inside nested functions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg46130] Re: Specifying arguments inside nested functions
  • From: drbob at bigfoot.com (Bobby R. Treat)
  • Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2004 04:02:15 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

First a couple of test matrices.

mA = {{a, b, c}, {d, e, f}, {g, h, i}};
mB = {{a, x, y}, {o, e, g}, {q, r, s}};

First solution, not far from what you had in mind:

ClearAll[match, not, matchNone, unmatched]
not = If[#1, False, True, True] &;
match[a_List, b_List] := Or @@ Thread[Equal[a, b]]
matchNone[a_List, b_?MatrixQ] := not[Or @@ (match[a, #] & /@ b)]
unmatched[a_?MatrixQ, b_?MatrixQ] := Select[a, matchNone[#, b] &]
matchNone[#, mB] & /@ mA
unmatched[mA, mB]

Testing:

(matchNone[#1, mB] & ) /@ mA
unmatched[mA, mB]
{False, False, True}
{{g, h, i}}

Here's a second solution, probably more efficient:

ClearAll[matchNone, unmatched]
matchNone[a_List, b_?MatrixQ] := Module[{f},
    Nor @@ (Thread[f[Transpose@b, a]] /. f -> MemberQ)
    ]
unmatched[a_?MatrixQ, b_?MatrixQ] := Select[a, matchNone[#, b] &]

I wonder whether, if mB has a LOT of rows, it would be better to
replace Transpose@b with Union/@Transpose@b or, better yet,
UnsortedUnion (see the Help examples for Union. Also, since Nor will
stop at the first column where there's a match, it's better for large
problems if the columns are in an order that makes that happen early,
most of the time -- if possible. I didn't do any testing like that,
however.

The same test:

(matchNone[#1, mB] & ) /@ mA
unmatched[mA, mB]
{False, False, True}
{{g, h, i}}

Here's the same solution, if you don't have a global called memberQ:

ClearAll[matchNone, unmatched]
matchNone[a_List, b_?MatrixQ] :=
  Nor @@ (Thread[memberQ[Transpose@b, a]] /. memberQ -> MemberQ)
unmatched[a_?MatrixQ, b_?MatrixQ] := Select[a, matchNone[#, b] &]

or, even niftier:

ClearAll[matchNone, unmatched]
matchNone[a_List, b_?MatrixQ] := Block[{MemberQ},
    Nor @@ (Thread[MemberQ[Transpose@b, a]])]
unmatched[a_?MatrixQ, b_?MatrixQ] := Select[a, matchNone[#, b] &]

Bobby