Too Many Errors From Find (Ctl+F)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg46146] Too Many Errors From Find (Ctl+F)
  • From: Harold.Noffke at wpafb.af.mil (Harold Noffke)
  • Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2004 23:36:02 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

MathGroup:

I have concatenated the Mathematica 5.0.1 Book chapters together into
one long notebook, because, using Ctl+F finds, I can locate arbitrary
strings the Help Browser does not catalog.  Frequently, I receive this
same error message and the Find process halts ...

    Front End Message (Date & Time)
	The string '"' cannot be displayed with ShowStringCharacters->False
	due to an error in the string.

My best guess is the problem is a string with a missing "-mark, as I
recall one or two of these in the Mathematica Book.  However, I can't
guess why this is confusing the Find algorithm.  Maybe I need to
locate uncompleted strings, but I don't see how to do this from the
Find dialog box, and I don't see Regular Expressions discussed in the
Mathematica Book beyond the wildcard level.

I get more of these Find failures than I like.  Does anyone have an
idea how to keep Find from giving up so frequently?

Thanks.
Harold