Notebook problem: Most of the keys are not working on SuSE

Hi,

When I start up the Mathematica 5.0 Notebook, I can only type numbers
and digits.  Everything else doesn't work: arrow keys, backspace,
delete, shift-enter, you name it.  Most of the time, I am just getting
little squares.  Hell, I cannot even position the cursor with the
mouse!  This is SuSE 8.2.  (And, yes, I've already put the LANG=C in
my startup script.)

Does this ring some bells here?

Regards
    -richy.