Re: Estimating parameters p and q in y'' + p y' + q y = Tide(t)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg46291] Re: Estimating parameters p and q in y'' + p y' + q y = Tide(t)
  • From: drbob at bigfoot.com (Bobby R. Treat)
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 21:56:56 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I'll suppress outputs below, and I'm leaving plenty for you to figure
out.

Solve the homogeneous equation to get two independent solutions y1 and
y2:

y[t] /. First@DSolve[{y''[t] + p*y'[t] + q y[t] == 0}, y[t], t];
basis = Plus @@@ CoefficientList[%, {C[1], C[2]}]

Apply variation of parameters. v1 and v2 will satisfy the equations:

system = {v1'[t]y1[t] + v2'[t]y2[t] == 0, v1'[t]y1'[t] + v2'[t]y2'[t]
==
      HoldForm@TIDE[t]}

Substitute for the unknown derivatives as follows:

system2 = system /. {v1'[t] -> w1[t], v2'[t] -> w2[t]}

and solve for the w1 and w2 functions.

Solve[Evaluate@system2, {w1[t], w2[t]}]

This can be made more specific by using ReleaseHold and applying the
rules:

Thread[{y1[t],y2[t]}->basis]

and

Thread[{y1'[t],y2'[t]}->(D[#,t]&/@basis)]

(Use ReleaseHold and /. on the output from Solve.)

v1 and v2 are antiderivatives of w1 and w2, with constants chosen
(eventually) to satisfy the initial conditions.

The inhomogeneous solution is

y[t_] := v1[t]*y1[t] + v2[t]*y2[t]

y[t] will depend on p and q. Good luck doing the regression.

Bobby