Re: No Output, No Error

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg46408] Re: No Output, No Error
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 23:43:48 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 2/16/04 at 8:59 AM, jackson101 at hotmail.com (Jackson) wrote:

>I have been experiencing some weird output. Some functions just
>output the input. No errors, no indications of a problem. Most
>functions work well, but some just don't provide any feedback as to
>the error.

>For example:
>xlist = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5};
>ylist = {2, 4, 6, 8, 10};
>Correlation[xlist, ylist]

>Yields the output with no error:

>Correlation[{1, 2, 3, 4, 5}, {2, 4, 6, 8, 10}]

This response indicates the function is not defined.

To use Correlation you must either load the standard package where it is defined or define it yourself.

You can load the package with any of the following

Get@"Statistics`MultiDescriptiveStatistics`"
<<Satistics`MultiDescriptiveStatstics`
Needs@"Statistics`MultiDescriptiveStatistics`

Note, the above only makes the functions defined in the package MultiDescriptiveStatistics availble for use. If you are going to be working with statistical proceedures, you may find it more convienent to use

<<Statistics`

which loads stubs for all of the statistical packages in the standard distribution. Then simply using any function defined in these packages will cause Mathematica to load the appropriate package and evaluate the function as you want.

Also, you have to load the packages *before* attempting to use the function. Otherwise, Mathematica will not evaluate the function as you expect.