Re: Help!!!!

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg46478] Re: Help!!!!
  • From: HPerea at uswcl.ars.ag.gov
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 00:29:22 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I have a grid where I know the velocity v[x,t] in each node.  What I want
to do is to graph the characteristic equation dx/dt=v using the velocity
values. I couldn't graph this equation correctly with Mathematica. In my
problem, if v->0 the characteristic curve has to be vertical and  if
v->infinite  the curve is horizontal.
                           o (x2,t2)
                         / |
                       /   |
                     /     | 1          This is a picture of my problem. I
know the velocity at the point (x1,t1)
                   /       |              but I don't know the point
(x2,t2).
                 /         |
  (x1,t1)  o ------o
                  1 / v

Do you think that I can graph the characteristic curves for this problem
using Mathematica??

I really appreciate your help....

Thanks

Hugo Perea-Estrada
PhD. Student
The University of Arizona
Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering Department
Email: HPerea at uswcl.ars.ag.gov
             hugop at ag.arizona.edu
             hugo at email.arizona.edu