Re: eigenvector rotation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg46667] Re: eigenvector rotation
  • From: Alois Steindl <Alois.Steindl at tuwien.ac.at>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 19:31:57 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Bettina <bho at em.uni-karlsruhe.de> writes:

> Hi
> It seems, that when I calculate the eigensystem of a complex Hermitian
> matrix, th eigenvectors get rotated automatically in such a way, that
> the highest absolute valued eigenvector component becomes real. Since I
> need the unrotated result, how do I switch off this feature?
> Thanks for the help.
> Best regards
> Bettina

Hello,
Since any complex nonzero multiple of an eigenvector is an
eigenvector, one can choose any proper rotation and scaling. In order
to obtain another direction, you just have to multiple the eigenvector
with a complex number.
Why do you think, that the "unrotated result" is better? How should
this vector look like?

Alois