Re: Compile

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg45338] Re: Compile
  • From: Maxim <dontsendhere@.>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 05:54:31 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Bill Rowe wrote:

> On 12/30/03 at 4:14 AM, dontsendhere@. (Maxim) wrote:
>
> > I don't see any problem with Plot[Random[],{x,0,1},Compiled->True] either, it was just an
> > illustration (if you don't like Random[], you can insert A Very
> > Complicated Expression instead). But you have to read the thread from the beginning, the problem is
> > with
> >
> > Module[{y := If[NumericQ[x], x, 1]},
> >   Plot[x y, {x, 0, 1}, Compiled -> True]
> > ]
>
> But this too works as should be expected from the documentation. In order for the expression x y to be Compiled it must be evaluated and this must happen before Plot assigns values to any portion of the expression. Consequently, when it is evaluated x is not numeric so y evaluates to 1 and the product evaluates to x. Hence, with Compiled->True a line with slope = 1 results.
>
> OTOH, with Compiled->False, Plot supplies a numeric value to x then evaluates the expression. Since x is now numeric, y evalutes to x and the product evaluates to x^2. The resulting plot is a parabola.
>
> --
> To reply via email subtract one hundred and four

My congratulations, now we're starting the second lap. Here you should re-read the previous messages in this thread about inserting Evaluate and comparing the results.

If you tried to actually do some testing --

Module[{y := If[Print[x];NumericQ[x], x, 1]},
  Plot[x y, {x, 0, 1}, Compiled -> True]
]

you would notice that y is evaluated for each step Plot takes and it prints symbol x.

And of course, Compile doesn't evaluate its second argument -- do you really think that to execute Compile[{}, Print[x]] Print[x] should be evaluated?

Maxim Rytin
m.r at prontomail.com