Symbolic matrix algebra

This is a very silly question and I have checked the archives for anything
relevant - I must just be searching on the wrong keywords.

All I want to do is some simple matrix algebra.
I want to type in  (A+B)^2 and have it expanded taking account of the fact
that A and B are matrices.
I want to use transpose, inverse and apply conditions such as the matrix is
symmetric etc?
I've tried non-commutive multiply and a few other tricks.
I can see that I could write a package but surely there must be one or a
built in solution I'm missing?
mikej