using functions with package name prefixed.

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg45578] using functions with package name prefixed.
  • From: nma124 at (steve_H)
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 06:04:55 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

is there a way to use a function from a package without loading
the whole package, but by simply prefixing the package name to
the function name?

For an example, suppose we have a function foo[] in a packge called

Now, one must load the Boo package by typing something like

then one can write

But notice that when calling foo[], the package name is not prefixed to
it, hence one does not know in which package foo[] is in by looking
at the function call.

In Java for instance, I can write, which makes it more
clear where foo() is located.

Is there a way to do something like this in Mathematica? and is there a way
to only load the function that I need from the package without loading