MathGroup Archive 2004

[Date Index] [Thread Index] [Author Index]

Search the Archive

Script, Gothic and DoubleStruck Characters

• To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg45655] Script, Gothic and DoubleStruck Characters
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 19:58:34 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

How many users are happy with the Script, Gothic and DoubleStruck characters on the Complete Characters Palette?

Although I find the Greek characters acceptable, I find the other character sets almost unusable.

The basic problem is that they are not commensurate in size with the regular Latin characters, but significantly smaller. At the normal 100% magnification they are almost impossible to read whereas the Latin and Greek characters are fine. (For example Capital Script E looks very much like a Greek delta.) Because of the detail of their typography it would be better if these characters were actually a little larger than the Latin characters.

Furthermore, sometime after Version 4.0, the DoubleStruck characters changed so that, for me, the double struck portion is just a solid line, even at larger magnification.

It would also be nice if there were an additional slightly larger, bold, sans-serif letter set.  This would be easy to read and could be used to represent vectors and tensors.

Along the same line, what symbol do users working in physics use to represent energy? All the text books use E but this is reserved in Mathematica.

These extra sets of characters are important because they are distinguished internally from the Latin characters. It would be nice if their size and typography were improved so they were actually useful.

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/ 

• Prev by Date: Re: Sort into chain
  • Next by Date: Re: Re: Wolfram Functions Site
  • Previous by thread: AW: Simple list operation
  • Next by thread: Re: Script, Gothic and DoubleStruck Characters