Re: copying

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg45798] Re: copying
  • From: Harold.Noffke at (Harold Noffke)
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 03:04:54 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I added Bobby Treat's InputForm palette to my library.

One reason I prefer to post plaintext from a MathKernel or MS-DOS
window is that subscript/superscript expressions print more
intuitively than from the InputForm palette.

Consider the following example from "Built-in Functions > Algebraic
Computation > Calculus > Derivative", equation 11.

Using the InputForm palette, we have this raw text ...

Derivative[1, 2, 3][h][x, y, z]
a*(b - 1)*b*(c - 2)*(c - 1)*c*
  x^(a - 1)*y^(b - 2)*
  z^(c - 3)

Using a MathKernel TextForm window, we have this raw text ...

In[11]:= Derivative[1, 2, 3][h][x, y, z]

                                          -1 + a  -2 + b  -3 + c
Out[11]= a (-1 + b) b (-2 + c) (-1 + c) c x       y       z

To my eye, the TextForm expression is more intuitively and rapidly
read than Bobby's "PaletteForm" expression.  That's why I recommend it
for postings.

Best wishes,