RE: [Outer [Times, , ] ] Question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg45812] RE: [mg45790] [Outer [Times, , ] ] Question
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 01:53:15 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Mike,

The problem is MatrixForm and there was just considerable discussion of the
issue on MathGroup. The problem is that MatrixForm is not transparent as
some of the other Forms are. So Mathematica can't add the MatrixForms.

I always do it this way...

(m1 = Outer [Times, x1, y1]) // MatrixForm
(m2 = Outer [Times, x2, y2]) // MatrixForm
(m3 = Outer [Times, x3, y3]) // MatrixForm

(mm = m1 + m2 + m3) // MatrixForm

The parentheses prevent MatrixForm being wrapped around m1, m2, m3 and mm.

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/