RE: displaying images in the complex plane

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg45913] RE: [mg45873] displaying images in the complex plane
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 05:35:57 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Just think of the tangent function as a parametrization of the sphere,
produced by a wacky cartographer, that puts the Greenwich meridian along the
equator and the North pole somewhat West of the Gilbert Islands. If you
don't believe me, just map it to the Riemann sphere!

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/

From: Nathan Moore [mailto:nmoore at physics.umn.edu]
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net

Does any body have a favorite way of showing images in the complex
plane?  Suppose I want to represent the function Tan[z], where z = a +
bi, how would you display that image if you were trying to explain the
complex plane to your students?

Nathan Moore
University of Minnesota Physics