Re: Import[filename,"CSV"] is so slooooooooow!

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg45935] Re: [mg45920] Import[filename,"CSV"] is so slooooooooow!
  • From: Tomas Garza <tgarza01 at prodigy.net.mx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 04:16:03 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

You might try playing around with options NullWords and WordSeparators in
ReadList. I have a file with about 300,000 text records which is read in
about 8 seconds. If you have a numeric file, use Number instead of Word:

AbsoluteTiming[test = ReadList["c:\myfile.txt", Word,
     NullWords -> True, WordSeparators -> {",", "\t"}, RecordLists ->
True]; ]

{8.7025136 Second,Null}

Tomas Garza
Mexico City