Troubles with Integrating certain functions in 5.0

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg49113] Troubles with Integrating certain functions in 5.0
  • From: mdh at (Matt Hancher)
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 05:26:29 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Hi all,

I'm running on OS X, and Integrate is misbehaving.  Below I show
the results of performing the same definite integral two times.  The only
difference is that I pulled out the constant factor Sqrt[E] in the second
case.  Only the second case is correct; the Struve function shouldn't be
there in the first case.

I'm pretty sure I'm not just being dumb.  Anybody have any thoughts?
I'd be curious to know how this plays out with other versions and on
other platforms....

In: Integrate[Exp[-Sin[x]^2]*Sqrt[E], {x, 0, Pi}]
Out: Pi ( BesselI[0, 1/2] - StruveL[0, 1/2] )

In: Integrate[Exp[-Sin[x]^2], {x, 0, Pi}]*Sqrt[E]
Out: Pi BesselI[0,1/2]

Thanks for any thoughts,

Matt Hancher
NASA Ames Research Center