Re: function IF with several equality conditions

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg49096] Re: function IF with several equality conditions
  • From: "Mark Westwood [EPCC]" <markw at>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 05:25:42 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

(1) do you mean  If[ And[x1>a , x2<a], 0, 1] ?  That is, are you trying
to express a single compound condition ?  If so, you should also see the
help files for Or, Not, and so on.  Note too that And[x1>a , x2<a] can
be written as  x1>a && x2<a .

(2) If does accept equality conditions, but x=a is not an equality
condition - it is an assignment statement, rather like a=1.  I think
that you mean x==a, or perhaps x===a.

Hope this helps