If and openwrite and openappend

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg49183] If and openwrite and openappend
  • From: "camartin at" <camartin at>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 03:34:23 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Obviously I don't understand something about using If, etc.

I'm trying to write a piece of code to store strings in a file.  A very
simplified example follows:

nix[x_String, y_String] :=
  t = {x, y}
If[FileType["c:\\Mathematica\\dBaspap"] == None,
    stmp = OpenWrite["c:\\Mathematica\\dBaspap"],
  stmp = OpenAppend["c:\\Mathematica\\dBaspap"]]
Write[stmp, t]

The function seems to work as I want if the file doesn't exist.  If it
exists the code doesn't work.

If I  the OpenAppend from the If statement things work fine.  But a
subsequent use of nix fails because it refuses to open a stream.

I've read Wolfram fairly carefully I thought but I'm missing something
Thanks for any help.

Cliff Martin