Re: Normal distribtion

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg49177] Re: Normal distribtion
  • From: "Roger L. Bagula" <rlbtftn at netscape.net>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 03:33:55 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I found a better faster way to get a Gaussian/ white noise:
In Mathematica notebook style:

x[a_]=(1+Sqrt[1-a^2))/a
Noise=Table[Exp[-x[Sin[2*Pi*Random[]]]^2/2/Sqrt[2*Pi],{n,1,500}]
ListPlot[noise,PlotRange--> All,PlotJoined->True]

It is a projective line ( circle to line random taken as the basic for a
normal distribution's amplitude.) based algorithm.
Since it doesn't use either the polar method with has a choice loop or
the older 12 random method, the random operation has only to be used
once for each noise value.
It is faster by several factors and can be translated to almost any
language.