User-defined or filled symbols for Points in ListPlots and Epilogs?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg49329] User-defined or filled symbols for Points in ListPlots and Epilogs?
  • From: AES/newspost <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 07:29:35 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Are there any simple or easy ways to substitute a user-defined symbol,
especially a "filled" symbol, for the Points in a ListPlot or Epilog?

The data I want to plot is already created in lengthy lists of the form

     pointData  =  { {x1,y1}, {x2,y2}, . . . . . }

which I can plot directly by using ListPlot or by putting
Map[Point, pointData]  into an Epilog.  I suppose I could create filled
circles to replace the Points in this Epilog, for example, by using
something like

     Epilog->{White, Map[Disk, convertedPointData],
                                       Map[Circle, convertedPointData]}

so that the filled opaque circles would overlay and hide the theoretical
data lines that pass underneath them.  Trying to convert my  pointData
lists into the necessary form so that I can do this has proven to be a
frustrating exercise, however.

So, is there a way to do this list conversion so that Disk and Circle
will Map onto the resulting list? -- or, a way to redefine the point
symbol in Point to be something more complex?

(Having gotten used to the joys of Stroke and Fill in Illustrator, I'm
frustrated that Mathematica doesn't seem to offer -- or I haven't been
able to find -- similar graphical constructs.)